I received this SS190 ammo in trade. I was immediately suspicious because all the projectiles have marks from a bullet puller. (Anyone who has bought pulled green tips will recognize these marks). Further investigation reveals the following.
- Brass has never been fired and reads FNB 10 (made in Belgium in 2010).
- Primers are original. The primer crimps are intact.
- Projectiles are a steel tip, aluminum core construction.
- Projectile weight of one sampled is 31.3 grains.
- Approximately 7 grains of powder measured.
It’s my best guess these SS190 clones were made using the 62 grain 5.56x45mm caliber bullets known as M885, SS109, or simply “green tips”, that have had the lead core melted out and replaced with aluminum.
I am aware of an outfit that had created specialized equipment to facilitate this exact process. For unknown reasons this enterprise, Baca Ballistics, failed to find commercial success and has since fallen of the face of the earth.
Given that these are 5.7x28mm handloads of unknown origin I will not be shooting them.
- I do not recommend shooting handloads of unknown origin.
- Sold as a collectible only.
- This is armor piercing ammunition. It is a violation of federal law to load this ammunition into a pistol.
- Armor Piercing ammunition is banned in many localities.
- Sold per 5. Must ship UPS ground, adult signature required.